Wednesday, December 15, 2010

30 Days of Thanks—Day #21

Today, on what seems like the umpteenth day of near-freezing temperatures and single-digit wind chills, I realized that I haven’t even expressed my gratitude for the basics. When it is this cold outside, and particularly when it is this cold for so many days and nights in a row, I can’t stop thinking about all the people in the world who don’t have a warm place to spend the day or sleep, all the people who, while I am putzing around on the internet, are trying to figure out where to spend the night or how to get some food or how to get clean.

I am so very grateful that I have never known want, not a single day of my life. I have never had to think about where I would eat or sleep or where I would get clothes or a bath. I have never been faced with the choice of whether to pay my electric bill or buy groceries.

I have been incredibly fortunate in so many ways, my entire life, but particularly where the basics are concerned. Tonight, when I crawl into my bed in my heated home and pull my sheet, my fleece blanket, and my comforter up over my shoulders, I will be thinking of all those who don’t have these comforts. And I will be grateful.

6 comments:

  1. I agree so much with this Mandy. I think about that too on cold, windy nights. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think about this often enough. Thanks for the reminder. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with KGEM. I need to be reminded to be thankful for something so simple and yet such a blessing. With a subzero windchill up here in Boston, I am infinitely thankful for heat, clothing, food, and a warm, cozy bed. Thank you for reminding me of that.

    I'm not sure what happened with my first comment, but it posted before I was finished. Once again, thank you for writing and reminding all of us what is truly important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't this hit you so much harder once you are a mama? (Probably a dad, too) To think that babies, whether loved as much as we love ours, or (even sadder) not loved like that, are cold or hungry, hits me so much closer to home now. And I don't think I was callous before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious reminder....

    ReplyDelete