Sunday, December 5, 2010

30 Days of Thanks—Day #11

I’m grateful to have discovered that I probably don’t need any new maternity clothes. I was worried that because I was pregnant with Hudson at exactly the opposite time of year than this time, I might need to stock up on some winter maternity clothes. But I sorted through everything this weekend and found that I bought enough pairs of pants for work last time that they will probably get me through most of this pregnancy. And I’ve got some versatile sweaters that should do me for warmth. That’s good, because it is not the easiest thing for me to shop for maternity clothes among what appear to me to be worry-free, happy pregnant women (and often, their children). But I should certainly know that one can never know what kind of burden people are carrying just by looking at them—as much it feels like the sorrow just comes out of my pores, I doubt anyone looks at me and sees how sad I am (well, with the exception of the guy at the intersection I crossed on Friday afternoon who rolled down his car window to yell at me, “Don’t look so sad! Smile a little!”) or imagines what I have lost. But still, I’m glad to know that I don’t have to spend any more time in a maternity shop unless I really want to.
This may sound like a backward bit of thanks, but I’m thankful nonetheless.

6 comments:

  1. It's the little things...I'm glad that you are able to find something on this day to be thankful for, regardless of how trivial it may seem to you. At least it's SOMETHING! :)

    ~Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you love and Light tonight, as always...
    and holding up your thanks on what feels like another hard, hard day.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is quite a wonderful thing to be grateful for...
    The guy in the intersection... not so much.
    Love to you sweet mamma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do happen to need any maternity clothes, there are lots of places now that sell them online too. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah. How did you react to that man? How bizarre! I would have been tempted to yell back the reason you are sad.
    Hang in there, girlie, one foot in front of the other!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. On one hand, you could think, "Man, you don't know my pain, leave me to it." But on the other hand, you could think, "Wow, somebody in this world cares a little about some perfect stranger enough to take notice and interact." Which really is a miracle in this day and age. I've been that perfect stranger, lost in my sadness. My response was, "I'm working on it."

    Motherhood Maternity is online. They got a lot of my money when I lived overseas.

    ReplyDelete