Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Four years ago today, standing by the river in Belhaven, I made this vow to my sweet Ed:

Today, in the presence of those we hold most dear, at the place where our love blossomed, I take you as my husband. I commit to this journey through the seasons of our love and lives together, and no matter what those seasons may bring, I promise to walk beside you. I will endeavor every day to be a worthy partner to you, to love you as you deserve to be loved, and to accept with gratitude the person that you are. I promise to adore and nurture you, soul, mind, and body, to help you become the person you want to be, to make you laugh, to make you think, to make you proud, and to raise our family with you in the spirit of these vows. May the vow I take today remain as vital as the Pungo River where we stand, and as endless as the complete circle of this ring.

I remember at our wedding, which was held in the Quaker style like Hudson’s memorial service, Jess said that she always loved outdoor weddings. She said outdoor weddings were much like life itself—you hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and somehow everything manages to turn out all right.

It was certainly true about the wedding. Tropical Storm Ernesto had blown through on Thursday night, leaving our wedding site totally flooded and tearing the tent at the reception site into pieces. But the waters receded, the tent company replaced the tent, all our friends and family made it town, and Saturday dawned bright and beautiful, and remained that way all day long.

Now, four years later, we are journeying through the darkest season of our lives. We are still hoping for the best. And yes, we are still preparing for the worst, but we are also hoping that we’ve already survived it.

No matter what those seasons may bring, I promise to walk beside you.

I love you, my dearest Ed. Happy anniversary. Here’s to the dawning of many more beautiful days after this terrible storm.






11 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Both the pictures and the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful vows Mandy. The two of you are so lucky to have found the loves of your lives in each other. I am happy that you have Ed and that Ed has you. Beautiful days are ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shabnam is always one step ahead of me!! Mandy and Ed, your smiles are contagious. Keep smiling. Alex K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always thought that you two were each other's perfect match. I hope that this day is a happy one for you, and that there are many more days of happiness together as you grow together in love. You certainly found the perfect rock to plant yourself on in this storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures and your words to Ed say it all. "[N]o matter what those seasons may bring..." You are living out your vows in a season that is darker than I expect you ever imagined you'd face, and much sooner than I expect you imagined you'd be tested in this way. You two are a very inspiring force together, both before your tragedy and especially after. Happy Anniversary (I'll remember it from now on, since it's one day after ours)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beaten and bruised but you both have survived. There are happy times ahead! Time is on your side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photo of the two of you dancing is so filled with joy and love. Sending hugs.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mandy, I'm a friend of Melissa Tarleton's, and I've been praying for you since this whole awful ordeal began and silently reading since she posted about your blog on her blog. I never found a good time to jump in and comment, but I just wanted to wish you a love-filled anniversary and year to come. I may not have the right words to say to bring any comfort, but I am here every day bearing witness to your loss and the wonderful life of sweet Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. You can see the deep love that you two share and that allowed you to create Hudson and bring so much beautiful love into her life.

    ReplyDelete