Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Numb

It is nearly the end of April. Almost May. A little over three weeks until the one-year anniversary of Hudson’s death.

I am in a bit of a daze. Well, no, it’s a pretty significant daze. Near-constant anxiety over Jackson’s well-being. Total bewilderment about the looming reality that we will have a newborn again within the next few weeks. That sense of life hurtling me forward whether I like it or not. And, frankly, numbness.

Jess said the other day that she had a moment last week where she just wished she could skip over May and go straight to June. As many of you know, Jess’s mom died three years and ten days before Hudson did, in early May, under sadly similar circumstances.

I told her that I haven’t been really dreading the anniversary of Hudson’s death. She said she was glad. But the more I talked it through, the more I began to realize that I think I am just getting the benefit of the protective coating of shock all over again. The same protective barrier that allowed me to function at all during the days we spent in the hospital with Hudson and the days and weeks after her death—the force that allowed me to talk coherently with the doctor about brain death exams and autopsies, to hold my little girl’s lifeless body in my arms and say goodbye, to continue to get out of bed every day after that, to welcome visitors into our home, to smile and talk with them, to plan a memorial service for my 17-month-old child, and to do all the other seemingly impossible things I did—I think that same bubble has enveloped me now.

On the way home from North Carolina on Sunday, Ed and I were talking about our plans for May 13, when we are going to have a brief ceremony to remember our girl at the National Arboretum. As we talked, I felt like I was in a scene from a movie, one of those where the person is somehow standing outside herself in wonder, watching but unable to say anything. How could we possibly be planning to commemorate the anniversary of our daughter’s death? How could our daughter possibly have died? How could it possibly have been nearly a year since we last held her in our arms, saw her precious smile, heard her say words and laugh? How could we possibly be talking so matter-of-factly about who should do what when during yet another memorial for our daughter?

I don’t have the slightest clue how any of these things could be possible. I feel almost as disoriented as I did during those first days and weeks of living in this new world. And I guess I should be grateful for that.

Because if I could really grasp everything that lies in front of me during the next month, I don’t think I would even be able to stand up. The worsening PTSD-like reactions and flashbacks I’ve been having as we get closer to a year. The haunted feeling emanating from the memories attached to the next few weeks, which were the last we spent with her a year ago. Mother’s Day (I’ve lived eight Mother’s Days without my mother. Now I have to begin a lifetime of them without my child, too. How is that even possible?), which, in a terrible twist of fate, I will always have to remember as the day Hudson became ill. The actual anniversary. Final preparations for a new child to come home, preparations that mean letting go of and changing even more of the spaces in our home that used to be Hudson’s. Delivering a child in a hospital room exactly like the one where Hudson was born, perhaps even in the same room. Having nothing of my little girl with me in the hospital except memories and mementos. Conquering my terrible fear of all the things that could go wrong in the delivery and all the myriad things that threaten Jackson once he’s on the outside. Living through those hazy first days and weeks of life with a newborn and coming to terms with having less time to continue grieving. Losing Hudson all over again when her brother joins us without his big sister to welcome him.

Yes, I think I’ll be grateful for this bizarre numbness. It will lift soon enough, and just like the painful tingle in our limbs as they come back to life after being in one position for too long, the aftermath is going to hurt.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Mandy. My heart breaks (again and again and again) for you. Life shouldn't have to feel like this. I can only continue to send all my best energy towards you, Ed, and little Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you through all of the days that follow Mandy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, Mandy. I wish I could help.
    Big hugs,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, I wish I had some better words for you. You and your family are in my thoughts so frequently at the moment, especially over the coming weeks as prepare for Hudson's special ceremony at the Arboretum and for Jackson's arrival. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandy, I came across your blog recently and I think of you so much, and am so sorry your precious little Hudson died. I am heartbroken for you actually.I find myself in a similar situation to you, I gave birth to our little one just before the 1st anniversary of our precious baby's death after a long illness. It's very hard to describe how it feels for me.. my heart is so divided, there is enormous grief and sadness and just plain loss, but our new little one brings such joy and delight. So much of what you have written here rings so true to me, especially the numbness and shock, and fear of giving birth again, I was just terrified. I worried that our new baby wouldn't know her sister, but we all spend lots of time looking at photos and talking about her, and to be honest, I like to think they knew each other long before they came to me.I don't wish to upset you, I just wanted to tell you that you're doing so well Mandy. Baby steps. Hold onto your memories and carry her with you each day. Your little boy is so lucky to be born into your family, as was Hudson, you'll always be together. I'm a bit of a prayer person, and have your family in my prayers for the coming months. Sending my best wishes, Kell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I hear you. The numbness and shock can be welcomed (and necessary) for me at times, too. I must have all of the pictures of my sweet Miles memorized by now. Still, there are times that I look at them and have the "out-of-body" experience and find myself thinking, "How could this have happened to Miles and to us?" as if I'm not thinking about it all the time as it is. It is so complicated. I can be numb and in shock yet, in some ways, more aware than ever before.

    I have been reading your blog for a long time now, and I just wanted to let you know that it is so meaningful to me that you are sharing sweet Hudson and her story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you love and Light and knowing that while nothing can change the pain that will likely follow the numbness, hoping that maybe knowing that so many care about you and so many honor Hudson and so many will welcome Jackson can...just a little...help.
    Rachel C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mandy-
    an amazing entry.
    i wish you luck as you deal with the coming "aftermath". you have all of us to lean on if need be. -david bryan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mandy...I am so sad that you have had so much to deal with in the last year. I think of Hudson often. Praying for strength to envelope you and Ed in the coming days. I have been quiet on the blog, but I read daily and am always here.

    Love you,
    Shabnam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am posting ahead..Easter Party at St. Ann's today 4/21/11..missed our girl so much.. waiting for little brother..it has been a long hard year..god bless you both..a few hard months ahead..but we will be here for you when needed..your St. Ann's Family

    ReplyDelete
  11. I clearly remember your post on mothers day and I remember sobbing in church on mothers day 07 in chapel hill. i could skip may.

    ReplyDelete