Monday, August 30, 2010

Talking, Part Two

Many folks commented that it seems like a bit of peace has woven its way into my posts, if not my actual day-to-day experience, as of late. And you’re right. One of the benefits of regular writing is that I can look back and see where I was at any given point in this process and where I’ve come since then. And when I read my entries from last week, I, too, can see a subtle shift. But I felt the shift, too, a break of some sort from the persistent, deep, painful sorrow that seemed to pervade my days during the first three months since Hudson died. During those three months, I definitely experienced momentary relief from the burden of that sorrow here and there, but last week was the first week where the pattern was the other way around, where the weight on my chest felt lighter for all but a few very low, anguished moments.

And that is hard. It’s difficult to explain why it is so very hard to even acknowledge that I had a week where the good moments outweighed the bad. I don’t totally understand it myself—I just know and feel it very profoundly in my heart. As Claire commented on Saturday’s post, my desire to remain intimately connected to Hudson is equaled only by my desire for some relief from this awful pain, and those two desires have long seemed to be conflicting, as I’ve written many times. It is just terribly difficult to be able to appreciate the respite when it feels, simultaneously, like leaving her behind somehow. What I should hope for, and what I am trying to figure out how to actively work toward, is the day when I can reconcile those things, when I can know in my heart, and not just in my head, that I can get relief from the pain of losing Hudson without feeling like I am losing her again.

Many times since Hudson died, I have found myself just spontaneously talking out loud to her. Sometimes it happens when I am looking at a picture. Sometimes it happens when I just wander into her room for no reason. Sometimes it happens when I am in the playroom where her ashes sit in a ceramic lidded jar, hugged by her Elmo doll, on the memorial table that remains covered with her pictures, books, and artwork. Sometimes it happens in the car. Today, I stopped in front of her Easter egg picture, my very favorite of her because it just radiates her great big joyful bubbly spirit. I stopped in front of that picture and just started talking to her. Tears came immediately to my eyes, a lump immediately to my throat, but I kept talking. I told her that it is the first day of kindergarten for lots of our friends, and how sad I am that she is never going to have one of those. I touched her nose and her hair in her picture, and told her how I can’t believe that it has been three and a half months since I last held her, or kissed her little cheek, or swept her hair out of her face, or stroked her nose, or heard her say “nose” and “eyes” and “mouth” and “mama.” I told her how sorry I am that I couldn’t protect her, that I couldn’t save her, so that she could be here with us now, so that we could tell her we love her in person. I told her that I miss her so much, every single day, that it is impossible to say how much I miss her. I told her that I hoped she could somehow hear me. I cried hard.

And then I felt better. Almost immediately, I just felt lighter. I was actually surprised at how much so. I don’t recall this happening when I’ve tried talking to her before.

There is no explaining any part of this process of grief. There is nothing rational about it. There is nothing neat about it. There is nothing linear about it. It just is what it is. And it generally stinks. Any time I have tried to bend it to my will, tried to anticipate and avoid triggers, tried to escape its clutches, I have only ended up sorely disappointed and smacking my forehead for my inability to recognize the futility of such efforts.

But talking to Hudson today helped. And you can bet I will do it again in hopes that it might be one way to seek some peace while keeping her close at the very same time.

13 comments:

  1. There is no force in the universe that could remove her even a little bit from your heart. Embrace the peace when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I know that I have seen signs before--too potent to be random--from others who have passed on down among the living. Hudson would never want her mama to be sad or hurting, and I think she's trying in her little baby way to let you know that it's OK to be happy again. I'm so thankful that there are moments of relief, and that tears can bring you to a place of peace instead of more hurting. May tomorrow bring more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My childhood, lifelong, soulmate, bestest girlfriend was killed in a car accident almost 18 years ago, buried her on my 21st birthday. I still talk to her and look for signs from her, wait and wish her into my dreams. Those things have helped me. I know nothing of the magnitude of your grief, but I, too, think that Hudson is trying in her way to give you signs of her presence and comfort. I have been here bearing witness to your grief and pain and it has helped me with mine. I recently had a miscarriage and found myself needing to be with that grief as well. I was 9 weeks along, due the very beginning of March.
    We think of y'all every single day and send so much love and light your way.
    Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Mandy. I believe that you will always carry Hudson with you, and I'm also thankful that today that your sharing with her (out loud) what is in your heart brought you some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so brave facing this terrible grief, Mandy. I often think about what it would be like to be in your shoes and it only reinforces for me how brave you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you are familiar with Jackie from "Always a Mom of Four." Jackie wants people to speak her son's name to keep him ever-present. By speaking Hudson's name, by touching her photo, by remembering her turtle shirt or little words, you keep her alive.
    Connect-the-dots with peaceful days, and know that you have touched so many with your story. As I do with Jordan (Jackie's son), I speak Hudson's name frequently when I say my nightly meditation and hope for peace for those who are hurt.
    I'm so, so sorry.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are three people I still talk with to this day (and have on occasion written to). One is a friend from high school who died suddenly on the 3rd day of our junior year. The other two are my grandmothers who both passed away 10 years ago. I know they talk back in their own ways, and I think they have been with me through thick and thin, the ups and downs, ever since. I strongly believe they have been talking to me and keeping me and my little girl strong in our ordeal with her early arrival. Talking does help, whether out loud or in your head. Even though it may not always bring the relief you seek, I believe Hudson is with you, listening, each time you talk with her.
    Lisa Stifler

    ReplyDelete
  8. When nothing else will do, I just say it out loud...it brings me enormous peace. I miss you my friend. I would love to take a walk or sit in fall with you on the porch when she comes. Renee~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mandy, I think you talking to Hudson is a wonderful thing and I'm so glad it helps. We know a couple who lost their little boy (at age 2)a year ago to cancer, and his mom goes to the cemetery every day and reads him books and talks to him. Some of our friends think she is crazy but I just....get it. It's all about staying connected. Knowing your baby will never truly be gone. Continuing to mother a child that you have lost. And it is beautiful. Keep on keeping on, mama xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talking to Hudson, talking about Hudson, talking with Hudson - these are conscious things that will keep you (and all of us) connected to her. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of things I remember discussing is how grief will just sneak up on you, out of no where, there it is, watching and waiting to pounce. But, so too is joy. And I think there is a balance somewhere. Impossible to seek but one that comes with time and forgiveness and life. You're so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. mommy mandy, your posts break my heart because i know about loving a 17 month old little girl and i imagine every day that it was Linnea and not Hudson. i often feel that i don't deserve her. i almost lost her once and the way the dice rolled, i still have her. i so wish you had yours. the universe is a cruel place and sometimes i hate it. so far it has been nice to me and believe me, i don't take that for granted anymore. not for a day, not even for a minute. and that is all because of baby Hudson. i hope, i hope, that the dice will roll in your favor from now on even though the past can't be undone. you've had enough for several lifetimes sweetie, that's for sure. <3
    mommy tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love that photograph of Hudson holding the Easter egg. I get such a strong sense of her personality from it. She has a real twinkle in her eye, your little girl.

    I know that I have felt, still sometimes do, as though I didn't want to feel 'better' or to admit I felt better, even to myself. Because the pain and grief I felt often seemed to be the only connection I had with my daughter. But I hope that the love I feel for her will stop me leaving her behind. I don't think you'll ever leave your sweet Hudson behind. Ever. I'm glad it brought you some comfort to talk to her. xo

    ReplyDelete